Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Bed Space. The final frontier


In a city where space is everything, one would find the bed to be the place where you can find the least amount of space.  I had a small single for the majority of my bachelor life.  Then my wife and I upgraded to a Queen and now we have what is known as a "California King".   This bed is huge.  You can literally fit a sleeping elephant or 27 chimps if you wanted to.   With this huge bed, I found that the larger the space to sleep in, the larger the space between your loved ones during sleep.   

I was never much of a "cuddle" type, but when I slept in the queen bed, or even the single, you kind of have to.  You almost have to latch on to your partner just to keep yourself from falling off the edge of the bed.  It is like a Indiana Jones bed commercial.  But now I find, that you can seriously land jumbo jets between myself and my wife in this big bed when I wake up in the morning.  We do go to sleep holding eachother, and yes, we are madly in love.   

I have a theory on this.  We both live in a congested city.  I brush shoulders with 20 people every day.  The space on the sidewalk is literally the same space you get when you pass the turn style on the subway station.  Crossing the street makes you a life size version of the Frogger game, where you have to navigate left behind the bus bumper and then far right to go around the guy on the bike and back to the left  to go around the cab before hitting the other side of the road.   Getting on the 7 train at 5:30 pm is harder then getting into Le Deux on a friday night in Hollywood.   Once arriving home, the apartment living room is smaller than an average office and the bedroom is more like a super sized cubicle.  

So, when finally 11 pm hits and that head hits the pillow of a California King Size Bed, you want to stretch.  I think while we sleep, we enjoy the wide open fields of unattended bed sheets.
But shouldn't the time in bed be when you are closest to your loved one?  After all, it is not like you walk around in a cuddle position when you go out, or when you sit on the couch.  Shouldn't the "moments away from a deep sleep" time be spent holding the one you love?  rather than buying acres on the right side of the bed?

So I ask myself, does living in the big city? affect the way I sleep in a big bed?  small question....unknown answer.  Only way to know, is to get rid of the big bed and buy a small one to see what happens.  But as I said, in a city where space is everything, I can not commit myself to getting rid of the one thing that does not include 4 inch space to 15 other people.  

Sleep well Manhattan.

No comments: