Thursday, June 5, 2008

My, That Is A Large Bug On Your Window!



I watched Cloverfield lastnight.  You know, that movie about an evil monster coming to New York (no, not Heather Mills).  The movie was cool, with your usual CGI FX of monsters killing people who are stupid enough to stand around when something over 10 feet tall is coming toward them.  How come bad things (or better yet, destructive things) always take place in Manhattan?  I Am Legend, War of The Worlds (the one with that small time actor Tom Cruise), Cloverfield, Maid In Manhatta (with that scary looking thing called J. Lopez).  How come movie studios never pick on crappy places nobody would miss?  Like Valencia? West Virginia? or even Jersey?

But anyway, I saw cloverfield and was happy with the way it ended.  Crazy young people doing stupid stuff (like running toward the location of a monster instead of away from it).  

Then this morning I get a message from my friend who works at the New York Times (some small, circulation newspaper.  I never heard of it).   I won't mention her name because lets keep it real:  Who really wants to admit that they are friends with me?  Even my mother claims my name "Shai" means "gift" in Hebrew, which is a nice way of saying "I didn't want you, but God gave you to me against my wishes".

Anyway, my friend emails me telling me about how some random dude is climbing up her building. From the OUTSIDE!  And get this, he is not 1) a construction worker 2) a window cleaner 3) spider-man.  So I guess that only leaves one thing....4) crazy person.

Here is what the New York Times blog wrote about the Royal Douchness:

"Updated, 2:12 p.m. | Alain Robert, a French stuntman known for climbing tall buildings, scaled the north face of the New York Times building on Thursday, ascending 52 stories to the roof and clutching a bright green banner, before police officers arrested him around 12:22 p.m.

Police and security officials cordoned off the sidewalk below, on West 41st Street, as a crowd assembled. The words on the banner were illegible from the sidewalk, but from office windows inside the tower the slogan on the banner could be clearly read: “Global warming kills more people than 9/11 every week.”

The man later confirmed, moments after being arrested on the roof of the tower, that he was Alain Robert, a 46-year-old stuntman famous for scaling structures like the National Bank of Abu Dhabi, the Sydney Opera House in Australia and the Eiffel Tower and Montparnasse Tower in Paris. He wore a T-shirt with his name and the address of a Web site (thesolutionissimple.org), exercise pants and climbing shoes. He had long blond hair. He used no rope, harness or parachute."


Ah, the French.   Got to love those nutty french men.  Kind of ironic that he chose to climb a building in NYC and mention 9/11.  Didn't he think he would cause a security issue?  

Goes to show that the reason New York City keeps being the city that goes to shits in movies is because we are filled with people who do crazy enough shit.  We do stuff that pisses people (or monsters) off.  No wonder they want to come from space and fuck us up.  As for baguette-boy on the building? Good that the man stands up for global warming.  Bad idea that he had to climb a building to prove his point.  Perhapse someone should tell him to start a blog instead.  

Works fine for me.


No comments: