Friday, June 20, 2008

WHITE BOYZ II MEN

The great thing about living in "The City" is that there is always random stuff happening.  A parade here, a show there, a concert in between.  

This summer, every Friday, Good Morning America (ABC) have a concert summer series at Bryant Park across the street from my office.   I pass the park every morning on the way in around 8:30 and catch the tail end of the show wrapping up.  

Today, they had BOYZ II MEN.  You know, that song you had your dance to in high school prom (or made out with someone during your first couple of years in college).  They had that one song Motownphilly....and every white kid in my class thought they had the dance down.
I even remember people sporting suit jackets to school when they had that "End Of The Road" song come out.

Anyway, when I passed Bryant Park today I noticed the crowd more than anything.  It was filled with 50 to 60 year old white women.   Seriously.  A crap load of old, white ladies hanging around holding florescent signs that have "Its Not My End Of The Road Yet!".

I was laughing inside, because really, I expected a different crowd.   I thought I would see people between 26-36 in there.  Those guys were a hit during my Junior High, High School days.  I did not know that people in their 40's (who are now in the 50's) were listening to "I'll Make Love To You, Like You Want Me To, And I'll Hold You Tight....Baby All Through The Night, I'll Make Love To You...." (man, that song was HUGE in my Junior days.

Either way, it is good to see people with young spirit.  Can't imagine how many were probably singing along to "So Hard To Say Goodbye To Yesturday".

No comments: